Frequently Asked Questions

Find answers to the most commonly asked questions about Cranston and the Residents Association

How do I register for programs online?

All about the Residents Association (RA)

1. Do all Cranston residents currently pay a Residents Association Fee?
Yes, all residents and property owners in Cranston have their title encumbered with the Cranston Residents Association Encumbrance.

2. Who collects the Residents Association fee?
The Residents Association fees are collected by the Cranston Residents Association.

3. How often are the Residents Association fees collected?
Fees are due April 1 annually.

4. Where is the money collected from the Residents Association spent?
The funds are spent to administer and operate the amenities of the Cranston Residents Association, including the Century Hall, park, utilities, property taxes, insurance, salaries, programs administration, Christmas lighting, landscaping, maintaining open space in the community, etc. Audited financial statements are sent to every member prior to the Annual General Meeting.

5. What are the benefits to the residents of Cranston for paying the Residents Association fees?
Residents benefit, by having in their community, certain amenities and assets which, because of their unique nature, could not otherwise be provided, as the City would not normally accept responsibility for their maintenance. Other communities who do not have a Residents Association set up by the developer have petitioned the City to collect additional taxes through local improvement bylaws to fund enhanced maintenance of open spaced owned by the City. There is also a fulltime Program Coordinator at Century Hall who is responsible to set-up programs and special events, which meet the needs of the CRA members.

6. How is the Residents Association governed?
The CRA is governed via bylaws and a Board of Directors.

7. Who elects the representatives for the Residents Association and when does that occur?
The Members of the association elect their Board of Directors annually at the Annual General Meeting. Brookfield Residential has retained the right to appoint a certain number of Directors to the Residents Association, as it is financially responsible for the viability and operation of the Residents Association until it is turned over to the Residents.

8. Are the residents of Cranston able to guide the Residents Association in matters important to the residents?
The roles of the Residents Association are limited to matters affecting the operation of the association. Members can elect or defeat any Member standing for a Residents Association Directorship, and in that way guide the direction of the Association. Ultimately, the Association will be run entirely by the residents.

9. Will the residents be notified in advance of the upcoming bill?
Residents will be notified directly by mail and through the Cranston eNewsletter, at the Annual General Meeting, on this site, and or other meetings, as is appropriate.

10. Do the commercial properties planned for Cranston pay the Residents Association fee as well?
Yes, all property owners pay the annual fees, including multifamily developments, institutions, churches and commercial sites.

11. What is the difference between a Residents Association and a Community Association?
Community Associations are volunteer organizations, established with support by the City, and are dependent upon sponsorship and fundraising in order to operate. Community Associations are known to be involved in organized minor sports such as soccer, baseball and hockey, as well as being the political voice of the community. Community Associations work with City officials in establishing social policies, they are the voice of residents if playground zone areas are required, speed zone reductions are requested, issues arise regarding signage control and other potential community safety issues. Membership to the Community Association is voluntary and could involve members from several different communities.

The Cranston Residents Association (CRA) is a not-for-profit company that is professionally managed and operated. In addition to the wide variety of recreational and event programming, we are responsible for maintenance of many of the community features, including the entry ways and boulevards, the Century Hall facility as well as the and park amenities. Membership in the Residents Association is mandatory for residents and fees are collected annually in April.

12. How does a resident of Cranston become more involved in the Residents Association?
Glad you asked. Letting Directors know of your interest to stand for and attending the Annual General Meeting is usually the best means.

Fun Community Facts

1. What is the size of the Community?
Cranston is 1,581 acres and will eventually be home to 21,000 residents.

2. What is the size of the park?
The park is 7.25 acres.

3. What is the significance of the name?
This former homestead land was settled by the Cranston family and Brookfield was inspired to develop a neighbourhood with today's active family in mind, capitalizing on the recreational opportunities afforded by the surrounding natural landscape.

4. What is the largest community event hosted by the Cranston Residents Association?
The annual Stampede Breakfast is the largest community event the CRA hosts. In 2016 the event was attended by 5608 people, and involved 360kg of pancake mix, 96L of pancake syrup, more than 500ft of checkered table cloth and 191kg of sausages!

5. How high above the Bow River are the homes in Cranston's Riverstone?
Brookfield Residential has been building up the grade in Riverstone since 2004. More than 5 million cubic metres of dirt were used to raise the community. That's 5.6x the volume of the Bow Building in downtown Calgary! The property lines of the homes that back onto the Bow River/Fish Craak Park are approximately one meter above the floor way and the homes' basements are set approximately two meters above. 

6. How large is Cranston's Riverstone?
Riverstone of Cranston is approximately 225 acres in size. It will hold approximately 1,100 homes and 3,500 residents. 

7. Is Cranston part of the Rotary Mattamy Greenway Pathway around the City of Calgary?
Yes! The pathway runs along the ridge in Cranston. The Rotary Mattamy Greenway Pathway, when completed in 2015, will be 138km long and will connect 55 communities in Calgary. 

8. Will there be another entrance to Cranston? 
There is an entrance planned for South Cranston, at 212 Avenue / Cranston Gate. The timeline of the opening of this entrance is determined by the Province. 

Membership Cards

1. Who needs a membership card?
All residents over the age of 12 will be required to have a card for entry to the park and facility. Membership cards will also allow you to register for programs offered by the Cranston Residents Association at the discounted resident rate.

2. Do I need to bring my CRA membership card each time I come to Century Hall?
Yes, to gain access to the facility and the park you are required to show your membership card each time you come.

3. How do I get my membership card?
Please complete the membership form and come to the administration office during park hours and have your picture taken and card issued. The Customer Service office is open Monday-Sunday 9:00am-10:00pm for cards.

  • You must be a Member In Good Standing with the Cranston Residents Association
    If you are the registered owner of the property, you will need to have:
    • A copy of your Certificate of Title
    • A piece of Government issued photo ID
  • Century Hall will need to see a copy of your Certificate of Title before issuing permanent cards. If you have not yet received your Certificate of Title, temporary cards will be issued.

4. What is a Certificate of Title?
The Certificate of Title is a document that is issued to you by your lawyer when you purchase your home. It is a document that states who the registered owner of the property is. These are public documents available for a small fee from a registry office or at Century Hall. Certificate of Titles are not kept on file at Century Hall. If you have faxed/mailed/emailed your Certificate of Title with your membership form, it will be shredded after being reviewed.

5. What if I lose my Membership Card?
Membership cards are eligible to be renewed every three (3) years free of charge, at the members’ request. If a membership card is lost, residents will be charged a $10.00 fee for replacement. Children under 12 will not be issued cards and are only allowed to use the facilities when accompanied by an adult. Membership cards remain the property of the CRA. CRA will seize cards and suspend access if the holder of the card breaches the rules.

All about Century Hall Facility & Park

1. What are the Park hours of operation?
Monday-Sunday 9:00am-10:00pm unless otherwise indicated. Century Hall and the Park are open for reduced hours on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, Boxing Day, New Years Eve & New Years Day.

2. Can I bring guests into Century Hall and the park?
Yes, adult members are permitted 5 guests per household. Members’ Children 12-16yrs Entering the park without an adult are permitted 2 guests per household. If you are having a gathering of more people, a guest list must be completed and returned to the Century Hall 1 week (7 days) prior to your event for approval (max. 20 guests). CRA has the right to decline a large group.

3. Are dogs permitted in Century Hall or the Park?
No, dogs or animals of any type are not permitted in Century Hall or the Park. Guide/Aid dogs are welcome.

4. Is alcohol and smoking permitted in Century Hall or the Park?
No, alcohol and smoking is not permitted in the park.
No, smoking is not permitted in Century Hall. Alcohol is only permitted in Century Hall during rentals when a liquor license has been purchased and is posted in the kitchen.

5. How do I contact Century Hall?
General Inquiries - or call 403-781-6614
General Manager: Lannie Anderson –
Assistant General Manager: Amber Sessford -
Recreation Manager: Kevin Forbes –
Rentals -
Administrative Coordinator: Lanis Robinson -
Facility & Amenities Manager: Al Proctor -

If you'd like to reach one of our Resident Directors, you can email 

Programming and Special Events

1. Does Century Hall offer any programs?
Yes, there are a number of drop-in and registered programs for children, adults, and families. See the current season Program Guide for further information. Century Hall also offers a number of special events each year, including:  a 3 on 3 Hockey Tournament, Stampede Breakfast, Christmas Event with Santa, as well as several others.

2. What if I need to withdraw from a program that I registered in?
Our program withdrawal and cancellation guidelines are outlined on the programs page of our website, as well as in the document provided below.

Program Cancellation Policy

3. How often are new programs offered?
New programs are offered on a seasonal basis, with registration available up to three weeks prior to programs starting. Summer programs generally start in July, Fall programs begin in September and run through December. Winter programs run January through March and Spring programs begin in April.

4. We are always looking for suggestions for new classes!
If you have a great idea – please contact

5. Why are there different registration times?
Registration begins at 9AM on the first day registration is offered for residents.  Registration for non-residents occurs 3 days after the first registration date.  This allows residents the opportunity to have first selection of our offered programs.

6. Can I register online?
Only resident members in good standing are able to register online on this site. You will need your username and password to access CRA’s online registration option. Please ensure all family members are registered with Century Hall in order to include them in online registration.
Please note: online transaction is not complete until you can view a receipt.

7. How do Non-Residents register?
If you are a non-resident wishing to register for a program please contact the Century Hall staff at 403.781.6614 x 0 or in person during building hours. A non-resident fee will be added to the cost of any registered program(s). 

Bookings/Room Rentals

1. How far in advance can I book space?
Residents of Cranston may book space in Century Hall one year (12 months) in advance. Non-residents may book space 11 months in advance. The facility may be rented for private functions only. Rental for public events is not permitted. The facility may be used for activities that are not advertised, no fees charged, and there is no intention to market or sell products or services. All rental charges must be paid in full within seven (7) days of booking.

2. Do I need to put down a deposit?
Yes, a damage deposit of $500 is required before any rental can be confirmed. Damage deposit cheques must be dated one month prior to the rental.

3. Is set up time included in the rental?
All set up and clean up time must be included in your rental contract.

4. Does CRA provide caterers?
CRA does not provide caterers. You must bring your own caterer for your event.

5. Do you provide clean-up services?
All rentals ending at 10pm or later have a mandatory teardown fee. For more details contact rentals at:

6. Am I allowed to sell alcohol at my event?
You are responsible for any permits (i.e. liquor) required. You may sell alcohol at your event with the proper liquor license issued by the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission. For more information visit:

Seasonal Upkeep

1. Who is responsible for clearing the snow in some areas of Cranston?
If there is a walkway between your house and your neighbour’s house, both homeowners are responsible for clearing the snow, similar to the front walkway. Please review your title or the City of Calgary's Good Neighbour Guide for more details.

2. Where does CRA assist with snow clearing? 
CRA does snow removal around the Century Hall Park and Facility, in the Art Park, a small section in front of the Windmill and the pathway leading down the hill along Cranston Avenue into Riverstone.

3. The fences need repair – who looks after them?
Fences that are between public and private property are home-owners responsibility. This is outlined on your property title.

4. I need a copy of my land title, how do I get that? 
CRA can pull a copy of your land title for $20, and accompanying Restrictive Covenants for $20. 

5. What is the paint color of my fence
If you live in one of the more established areas of Cranston, the stain is Super Deck from General Paint OR Sikkens Cetol SRD 072 Butternut (available from the Cedar Shop). If you live in a newly constructed area with a cedar fence, the stain is Sikkens Cetol SRD 077. 

6. The trees on the boulevard or the green space are not faring well or dying – who looks after those?
The City looks after all regional pathways, parks and green spaces, Please call 311 and include location and all pertinent details.

7. How do I go about getting my backlane paved?
Please visit the City of Calgary's page on Backlane Alley Paving. You will need to submit a 3-1-1 request for the petition to be sent to you to start the process.  


For more details on responsible parties for maintenance, please email the General Manager -